First of all, marry who you want. Second, vote for who you want. Third, watching two grown men slap each other around during a political campaign is priceless. Pull up a chair and pay attention. Something remarkable happened last week. Mr. Obama manufactured a run.
I watched the video of President Obama announcing his support of gay marriage. I didn’t just glance at it. I watched it over and over. I wasn’t listening to the words or the message as much as I was watching the facial expressions and body language.
There is a school of thought that 70% of communication is visual. I noticed that Mr. Obama was not all that comfortable with what he was saying. His mouth was moving and words were coming out, but he didn’t convince me he really believed in what he was saying. In other words, there was no conviction in his voice. I am calling politics.
Mitt Romney is a grown man. He has a lot of experience whether in business and in life. He has been in leadership roles and like him or not, has grown to be an influential player on the US political scene.
I said Obama manufactured a run. The whole Obama supports gay marriage punch-line hit me a day later. I was watching a beautifully executed smear on Mitt Romney. It was an announcement that while in high school, Romney cut the hair of a gay student. The political handlers earned their money that day. It’s funny that a week later we don’t hear much about it. But for an afternoon, Obama supports gay marriage…Romney is a bully with a track record of preying on gay students. Obama reigned supreme.
The strategists and handlers where in the back room giggling and high fiving each other. They got Romney. They got him good. Does anyone care? I don’t. I only mention this because it illustrates how politics works. Shuck and jive. Keep moving. Take you shots. Have three moves planned ahead and ready to go. Romney and the kid with the hair know what happened. But for now…the perception is Obama did a good thing and Romney did not. Check me in month. See if this comes up again. It’s all politics, baby.
Where the next campaign punch is thrown is anyone’s guess. Just be ready. You know it is coming. Just be four steps ahead.
- Jacob Sullum on Romney’s Gay Marriage Challenge (txwclp.org)
- Jacob Sullum on Romney’s Gay Marriage Challenge (reason.com)
- Romney’s Gay Marriage Challenge (txwclp.org)
- President Obama on Gay Marriage (ayandeatoinrandom.wordpress.com)
- President Obama is getting no benefit from his support for gay marriage (blogs.telegraph.co.uk)
- Gay Donor Pulls Support From Mitt Romney Over Gay Marriage, Asks For Money Back (rajcairnsreport.wordpress.com)
- Poll shows Mitt Romney with slight lead over President Obama, as Americans question Obama’s motive in backing gay marriage (boston.com)
- President Obama on The View: A Discussion of the Economy, Gay Marriage and Kim Kardashian (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Poll: Americans Don’t Want To Hear About Gay Marriage, It’s The Economy Stupid! (inquisitr.com)
- WATCH: Obama Corrects Hasselbeck On Gay Marriage Stance (huffingtonpost.com)
- Tina Dupuy: Why gay marriage freaks out GOP (appeal-democrat.com)
- President Obama’s Gay Marriage Goof (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)
- Marco Rubio: Obama has “political reasons” for gay marriage stance (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Wanda Sykes on Obama’s embrace of gay marriage and Mitt Romney’s eagerness to please (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Marco Rubio Says Obama Backed Gay Marriage For ‘Political Reasons’ (towleroad.com)
- They Gay Distraction (revolutioninmedia.com)
- On The Glenn Show, Glenn [Loury] and Ann discuss the politics of President Obama’s recent endorsement of gay marriage.” (althouse.blogspot.com)