Bob Costas couldn’t cope. The story was written. The media had already crowned the favorite the triple crown winner. All that was left was to run the race. The story was 1.5 miles away. History was the same distance away.
Stop there. I’ll Have Another damaged ligaments in his lower leg. Confirmed by ultrasound tests yesterday. The owner and trainer decided to pull the horse from the race. What’s more, the horse was retired and will not race again. Trainer Doug O’Neill said sure the horse could have made the distance and probably win, but why risk it?
A Triple Crown winner could mean millions in stud fees. Triple Crown winners breath rare air. They are worth millions. Stables are now so concerned with sales that the stud fees are a key revenue stream. Why risk the big bucks if the unthinkable happens. Play it safe.
As for the story line, all the pre race shows were doing “Had he run or Had he not scratched or would he have won. I realize it is hard to turn an ocean liner around on a dime but I grew tired of the had he and would he haves. It was difficult to watch.
One other issue that looms large. Horse Racing in New York is now run by the state. There is a detention barn set up and since Wednesday, all horses are closely monitored. Hmmm. Was O’Neill, already under scrutiny in California, motivated to pull the horse for another reason…. Naw! Millions are at stake…Naw!
Well, history will have to wait. I’ll Have Another is out to stud. He is a stallion now. And he WILL have another and another and another. Enjoy the good life out in the pastures. You almost made it!
- I’ll Have Another scratched from Belmont Stakes (nbcsports.msnbc.com)
- Triple Crown hopeful I’ll Have Another scratches from Belmont Stakes (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- Belmont Stakes 2012: I’ll Have Another Officially Out, According To Trainer Doug O’Neill (stlouis.sbnation.com)
- Scratching ‘I’ll Have Another’ From Belmont Was the Right Move (theatlantic.com)
- I’ll Have Another leg injury prevents Triple Crown try at Belmont (cbc.ca)
- I’ll Have Another Retired From Horse Racing Following Injury (sbnation.com)
- I’ll Have Another Scratched From Belmont Stakes (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- Triple Crown 2012: I’ll Have Another Scratched From Belmont Stakes (dc.sbnation.com)
- I’ll Have Another scratched from Belmont, ending Triple Crown bid (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Triple Crown Contender Scratched From Belmont Stakes (fox2now.com)
- Triple-Crown Tragedy: Leg Injury Puts ‘I’ll Have Another’ Out of Belmont (foxnews.com)
- I’ll Have Another out of Belmont, retired (myrtlebeachonline.com)
- I’ll Have Another Scratched: Injury Raises Ugly Questions About the Sport (bleacherreport.com)