Our man Floyd may be in jail at the moment, but his stock sure went up on Saturday night. You know the story, Pacquiao wants Mayweather to take a drug test, THEN they’ll fight. It has been going on for years.
Pacquiao hasn’t lost in 8 years so yes, he has the leverage to pressure Mayweather. After Saturday’s split decision, Mayweather won the fight without ever getting in the ring.
Why you ask? Well, by saying hell no! to a drug test, he gave someone the chance to knock off Pacquiao. Well it happened. Now, Mayweather can say… “See? this is what I mean, Pacquiao wants me to take a drug test and he can’t even beat Bradley. Brilliant!
I am not sure Mayweather is a very smart man or not… at least the people surrounding him are. Count on it. The Pacquiao vs. Mayweather doesn’t need to happen now. Perfect for Floyd who doesn’t want to get in the ring with someone who can blemish his perfect, undefeated record. Pacquiao’s loss sets up Mayweather perfectly to unleash a new barage of rhetoric. I can hear it now… Manny? Manny who? It’s your lucky day Floyd. Your lucky day.
So what happened in the fight? Did the ref blow it? Did the judges? All we can say now is rematch!
14, 206 sat in disbelief in MGM‘s Grand Garden Arena. Every iPhone and Android in the place lit up with the news. The media guys all had Pacquiao ahead at the end of the 12th round. The judges awarded the fight in a 12 round split decision. Judges CJ Ross and Duane Ford had Bradley winning 115-113. Jerry Roth had Pacquiao winning by the same score…115-113 but in Manny’s favor. Bradley, a huge underdog in Vegas, improved his record to 29-0. Whoops! Undefeated? Isn’t Mayweather undefeated?…Hmmm. Floyd…maybe make some calls. Battle of the Undefeateds. Can you say pay per view?
The tension in the arena was born of disbelief. Bradley said after the fight the he couldn’t get to Manny. Pacquiao landed 34% of his punches and landed more total punches in the fight. Bradley landed only 19% of his punches.
The public pays good money to see fights like this. As you would expect, they want to the champs to win when they win and go down hard when they are upset. Saturday’s result begs the question… Do the judges know what they are looking at? Are they in touch with the sport? Can they explain how Pacquiao lost? There must be some specifics that they can convey to us.
Usually, the fighter who wins the most rounds wins in a decision. This must have changed over the weekend because EVERYONE except Ross and Ford got the memo. Bradley won 3 of 12 rounds at best.
Wake up call for the Nevada State Boxing Commission. Boxing feels like it is in a decline. At this point, boxing is suffering as a sport. Credibility of the judges are killing boxing.Results like this hurt the sport’s credibility. Boxing has a home in Las Vegas. So does UFC. Boxing can’t afford a slam on it’s credibility or it’s image. There just aren’t that many great fighters. UFC on the other has a full pipeline.
Like I said, Bradley shocked Pacuiao, Mayweather looks like a genius, and Dana White is laughing all the way to the bank.
- Boxing’s latest sham all but ends Mayweather-Pacquiao super fight (aol.sportingnews.com)
- Pacquiao vs. Bradley: Pac-Man Loss Actually Helps Mayweather Mega-Fight Chances (bleacherreport.com)
- Pacquiao vs. Bradley Results: Mayweather vs. Pac-Man Fight Now Inevitable (bleacherreport.com)
- Pacquiao vs. Bradley Results: Pac-Man’s Loss Destroys Boxing (bleacherreport.com)
- Bradley Defeats Pacquiao in Controversial Split Decision (theesposito.com)
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: Why Hope for Dream Match Still Exists (bleacherreport.com)
- Manny Pacquiao’s Loss to Timothy Bradley Means Missed Chance for Floyd Mayweather Jr. (nesn.com)
- PHOTOS: Scenes from Pacquiao’s controversial loss (miamiherald.com)
- Pacquiao vs. Mayweather: Why Superfight Is Nothing More Than A Pipe Dream (bleacherreport.com)
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: Why Beating Bradley Won’t Lead to Bout with Money (bleacherreport.com)
- Controversial Decision: Pacquiao vs. Bradley (bugeyedupdates.wordpress.com)
- Manny Pacquiao vs Timothy Bradley – live! (guardian.co.uk)
- Manny Pacquiao Upset in Controversial Loss – Fox News (latino.foxnews.com)
- Tim Kawakami: Bradley wins, Pacquiao’s robbed: If you can’t trust the outcome, can you go back to the sport? (mercurynews.com)