Every move the fellow makes is sliced and diced and served up for the rest of the world to evaluate. The talking heads on the tube can stop talking about him. He was the lead story for months while he had the come from behind streak going with the Broncos.
On top of that, everyone knows about the throwing mechanics, the wildcat, and all the other playing ability stuff.
Of course, the whole “Tebowing” thing. Frankly, I am tired of all of it. If he is being blackballed it is a good example of the machinery that is the NFL.
Tim Tebow won a national championship at Florida. He won the Heisman trophy. Urban Meyer was like a father to him. He was essentially a really competitive guy, a fullback, playing at the Quarterback position. He has a story. He has some leadership skills. He has his day in the sun. Accompanying all of this was the religious references every damn time the mic was shoved under his nose. Not everyone feels the same way as Tebow does. People put up with it, why? I guess, the want to see the kid play and are willing to overlook the religion stuff. Tebow is not the first to do this. Giving thanks to God for the win is nothing new.
Here is what it boils down to. Any (successful) effort by an individual, intentional or not, to usurp media, divert attention to oneself, or otherwise distract from the the NFL and their business interests, the copyrighted materials, or anything owned by the NFL will get the person slammed hard on the mat. I promise you, you will be thrown for a loss.
Lots of guys win games in row. Lots of guys win a playoff game. Lots of teams have a come from behind win.
Follow the money.
Why do owners want to pay Tim Tebow millions to be a distraction? In the scheme of things, Tebow is an ankle biter compared to the owners. It takes a gazillion dollars to be a franchise OWNER. With that comes certain benefits, one of which is the quiet confidence of being the only game in town on Sunday 6 months of the year. Another comes to mind. Having the Commissioner in their hip pocket. The can accomplishment almost anything they want. Money, power, ad dollars, media, (cheerleaders), a brand, control, hmmmmm, think of the possibilities.
Big money media contracts make the NFL world go around.
Tim Tebow is less than a cog in the big scheme of things.
- NFL throws Tim Tebow for a loss? (dpatlarge.wordpress.com)
- Tim Tebow blackballed? Sensational headlines in story of unwanted QB (aol.sportingnews.com)
- Report: Bill Belichick ‘hates’ Tim Tebow as an NFL player (tracking.si.com)
- NFL Columnist: ‘Unfair’ Owners Blackballing QB Because of ‘Tebowmania’ (breitbart.com)
- Ditka: ‘I Would Take A Chance’ On Tim Tebow (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- New Mexico Casino-Hotel Offers Tim Tebow Executive Position as “Chief Winning Officer” (prweb.com)
- Report: Patriots’ Bill Belichick ‘Hates’ Tim Tebow As A Player (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Would Tim Tebow be a bust in CFL? (espn.go.com)
- This guy apparently wants to pay $2 million to make Tim Tebow a Jaguar (sbnation.com)
- Report: Belichick “hates” Tebow as a player (profootballtalk.nbcsports.com)