Launches by the North of short-term missiles are not uncommon, but the ministry would not speculate whether these latest launches were part of a test or training exercise.
“North Korea fired short-range guided missiles twice in the morning and once in the afternoon off its east coast,” an official at the South Korean Defense Ministry spokesman’s office said by telephone.
The official said he would not speculate on whether the missiles were fired as part of a drill or training exercise.
“In case of any provocation, the ministry will keep monitoring the situation and remain on alert,” he said.
Tension on the Korean peninsula has subsided in the past month after running high for several weeks following the imposition of tougher U.N. sanctions against Pyongyang following its third nuclear test in February.
The North had for weeks issued nearly daily warnings of impending nuclear war with the South and the United States.
North Korea conducts regular launches of its Scud short-range missiles, which can hit targets in South Korea.
It conducted a successful launch of a long-range missile last December, saying it put a weather satellite into orbit. The United States and its allies denounced the launch as a test of technology that could one day deliver a nuclear warhead.
During the weeks of high tension, South Korea reported that the North had moved missile launchers into place on its east coast for a possible launch of a medium-range Musudan missile. The Musudan has a range of 3,500 km, putting Japan in range and possibly the U.S. South Pacific island of Guam.
- North Korea ‘fires three missiles’ (independent.ie)
- South Korea says North fires 3 short-range missiles (foxnews.com)
- North Korea launches short-range missiles, South says (engineeringevil.com)
- North Korea fires three short-range missiles (worldbulletin.net)
- North Korea Fires Three Short-Range Missiles (thejakartaglobe.com)
- North Korea fires three short-range missiles (ibnlive.in.com)
- NKorea fires short-range missiles (smh.com.au)
- North Korea may have 200 mobile missile launchers, South media says (panarmenian.net)
- Report: North Korea launches short-range missiles – CNN (edition.cnn.com)
- South Korea says North Korea fires 3 short-range missiles (nst.com.my)