Bank employee naps on keyboard, transfers millions
BANKER PUSHED ONTO THE NO.2 WHICH MADE THE HUGE 222,222,222.22 EURO TRANSFER
An obviously tired German bank employee fell asleep on his keyboard and accidentally transformed a minor transfer into a 222 million euro ($293 million) order, a court heard Monday.
The Hessen labour court heard that the man was supposed to transfer just 62.40 euros from a bank account belonging to a retiree, but instead “fell asleep for an instant, while pushing onto the number 2 key on the keyboard” — making it a huge 222,222,222.22 euro order.
The bank discovered the mistake shortly afterwards and corrected the error.
The case was taken to court by the man’s 48-year-old colleague who was fired for letting the mistake slip through when verifying the order.
The court ruled that the plaintiff should be reinstated in his job.
- FSN: German Bank Employee Naps On Keyboard, Transfers Millions (silveristhenew.com)
- Bank employee takes a nap on keyboard, transfers millions (thehindu.com)
- German Bank Worker Accidentally Transfers Nearly $300 Million By Falling Asleep On Keyboard (disinfo.com)
- Bank Employee Naps On Keyboard, Accidently Transfers $293M (valuewalk.com)
- German bank employee falls asleep on keyboard, transfers millions (abc.net.au)
- Using Ally Bank Online Banking Systems: How to Open a Bank Account Online (ally.com)