The news was confirmed by HBO and Gandolfini’s agents, who said that the 51-year-old actor was on holiday in Rome.
“We’re all in shock and feeling immeasurable sadness at the loss of a beloved member of our family,” HBOsaid.
He was special man, a great talent, but more importantly a gentle and loving person who treated everyone no matter their title or position with equal respect. He touched so many of us over the years with his humor, his warmth and his humility. Our hearts go out to his wife and children during this terrible time. He will be deeply missed by all of us.
He is survived by his wife, Deborah Lin, and his son, Michael.
Condolences poured in from the late actor’s friends and colleagues.
“R.I.P James Gandolfini. One hell of an actor,” actor Albert Brooks tweeted.
“James Gandolfini. Unbelievably sad news. A fine man,” Steve Carell tweeted.
Rose McGowan tweeted a photo of herself with the “gentle giant.”
- James Gandolfini Dies From Heart Attack In Italy (b96.cbslocal.com)
- James Gandolfini Dies Suddenly in Italy (reellifewithjane.com)
- ‘Tony Soprano’ Actor James Gandolfini Dies: Report (ktla.com)
- James Gandolfini Dead at 51 After Possible Heart Attack in Italy (gossipcop.com)
- Reports say “Sopranos” actor James Gandolfini, dies of heart attack (9wsyr.com)
- James Gandolfini dead of a heart attack at 51 (macleans.ca)
- R.I.P. James Gandolfini (1961-2013) (superponte.wordpress.com)
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at age 51 (cltv.com)
- James Gandolfini dead at 51 (iowntheworld.com)
- R.I.P James Gandolfini (thegrid6.com)