Cirque du Soleil artist dies after fall in Las Vegas
Sarah Guyard-Guillot was pronounced dead late Saturday night at a hospital after falling about 50 feet from the show’s stage.
Visitor Dan Mosqueda of Colorado Springs, Colo., said the 31-year-old acrobatic performer was being hoisted up the side of the stage when it appeared that she slipped free of her safety wire and plummeted to an open pit below the stage.
“Initially, a lot of people in the audience thought it was part of the (show),” he told the Sun. “But you could hear screaming, then groaning, and we could hear a female artist crying from the stage.”
The show momentarily continued, then stopped. Minutes after the accident, a recorded announcement informed audience members that refunds or vouchers to future shows would be offered, and the crowd was dismissed.
Guyard-Guillot, a mother of two children, had been with the original cast of “Ka” since 2006, and had been an acrobatic performer for over 20 years.
“I am heartbroken. I wish to extend my sincerest sympathies to the family. We are all completely devastated,” Laliberte said. “We are reminded with great humility and respect how extraordinary our artists are each and every night. Our focus now is to support each other as a family.”
Cirque officials are working with authorities investigating the accident and have offered their full cooperation, he added.
The Clark County Coroner‘s Office will rule on the cause of death.
- Cirque du Soleil artist dies after fall in Vegas show (kvue.com)
- Cirque du Soleil acrobat Sarah Guyard-Guillot fall: Audience witnessed fatal accident (newsday.com)
- Cirque Du Soleil Accident: ‘Ka’ Performer Sarah Guyard-Guillot Falls To Her Death, First Death In Show’s 30-Year History (medicaldaily.com)
- Cirque du Soleil acrobat dies during Las Vegas show (cbsnews.com)
- Cirque du Soleil performer plummets 50ft to her death (independent.co.uk)
- Cirque du Soleil performer dies after 50-foot fall (usatoday.com)
- Cirque du Soleil artist dies after fall in Vegas (metronews.ca)
- Cirque du Soleil peformer falls to her death in Las Vegas show (metro.co.uk)
- Cast Member of Cirque du Soleil’s KA Falls During MGM Grand Show; Dies at 31 (broadwayworld.com)
- Cirque du Soleil artist dies in show (bbc.co.uk)