Cyber Monday from your desk? Think twice!
If you were not one of the 30 million shoppers who wrestled with his fellow man to get the best of the door busters on Black Friday in recent years, you have another chance on Cyber Monday.
Cyber Monday means Black Friday from your computer and you can shop online from the comfort of home. If you are planning to shop from your office computer this Cyber Monday, think twice. Or least make a plan so you don’t get fired for it.
More companies care blocking access to on line shopping sites this year. Being careful is sound advice. The deals are great. Having it turn into a problem with your boss is not.
Lots of workers think Cyber Monday is no big deal and shopping on line is a way of life. Companies permitting on line shopping may set guidelines, limit hours of the workday that shopping is possible, or even monitor a worker’s usage to ensure the focus is on work.
More good advice, if you miss a deadline and the excuse is that you were shopping on line. Think of a better excuse.
Here are some ideas that will help you strike that “I have a job- I have to shop” balance.
- Learn the rules of your employer then follow them. Your company may have a policy, make sure you know the lay of the land before you log in to a shopping site.
- If you are allowed to shop from your desk on Cyber Monday, make your purchases and get back to work as soon as possible.
- Your Android or iPhone may be your constant companion and allow to you to shop on line during work hours. Take you smart phone to lunch and shop then. You don’t want to be head down in your smart phone with work undone.
- There is always a chance that your invite a virus into the company network. IT works continuously to lock down the company network. Use your head and avoid possibly malicious links or sites that could infect the company network.
2012 was a banner year for Cyber Monday with sales topping one billion dollars for the day. If you must shop from your desk, make sure work comes first then click away.
* Follow us on twitter at @dpatlarge
* email your funny gifs, sour puss selfies (18yrs + only), optical illusions, playlists, lyrics, twists of irony, inappropriate questions, made up stuff and/ or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org . (or not!)
- Virtual World Computing Releases The Top 10 Cyber Monday Shopping Safety Tips (hispanicbusiness.com)
- WORKPLACE: Fewer employers mind cyber Monday distraction (pe.com)
- PC gaming does Cyber Monday: Desktops and laptops (reviews.cnet.com)
- FBI: Be wary of Cyber Monday scams (abqjournal.com)
- Cyber Monday: Stay in Your Pajamas and Save Money (webpronews.com)
- Sonos deals for Cyber Monday and beyond (reviews.cnet.com)
- Save the vacation day, spend Cyber Monday at work (bizjournals.com)
- 5 Ways to Find the Best Deals for Cyber Monday 2013 (investorplace.com)